Health Basics

Friday, July 20, 2012

Jerk Chickpeas...and it's VEGAN!!!!

So I was in my kitchen today and I had an amazing craving for Jerk Chicken. Well, as a vegan/raw foodist, I can't go chomping down on some chicken so I have a recipe that will make any Jamaican fall in love with me...I mean it. The flavors are perfect and I must say, I KILLED IT!






I licked the bowl.  Don't judge me.

Vegan Jerk Chickpeas & Coconut Brown Rice

3 tablespoons Fresh squeezed Lime Juice
2 tablespoons Tamari or Nama Shoyu (vegan soy sauce)
2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 small tomato chopped (squeeze it some to make it really juicy and sloppy)
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
2 tablespoons cilantro
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon red chilli flakes (crushed red pepper, more or less depending on HOT tolerance
1 can of chickpeas or 2 cups of fresh cooked chickpeas
1/4 cup of chopped onions
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder. 

For Rice:
1 Cup brown rice
pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil

Garnish (optional)
Sliced avocado
cilantro leaves
lime juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Make the rice: Add the rice to the water with the sea salt and coconut oil. Bring to a boil. Once it boils, put the lid on the pot, turn to low and LEAVE THE POT ALONE. DO NOT OPEN IT AT ALL. (Yes, I am yelling. When you open the pot, you let the steam out and this is what causes brown rice to be hard. It will take forever to cook if you do this.

While the rice is cooking, mix all ingredients together except the chickpeas, cilantro, and onions and arrowroot powder. Stir really well. Add chickpeas, onions, and cilantro.

Bake in oven covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Take foil off and bake for another 5-7 minutes. Stir in arrowroot powder and the "sauce" will thicken.

Check on your rice. (YOU CAN OPEN THE POT NOW.) Give it a stir. Most if not all of the liquid should be absorbed. If there is a little left, you can turn off the stove and let the steam do the work or let it cook just a wee bit longer. 

Serve the chickpeas over the brown rice with slices of fresh avocado, a squeeze of lime juice and a few cilantro leaves.

Leave a comment and let me know how you like it.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm sounds good, and my husband simply LOVES Jerk Chicken. I'm gonna have to try this. I'm LOL at the 2nd pic where there literally isn't anything else left in the bowl, too funny. I don't even have to ask if your husband enjoyed it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete