Being "Extra" is all about priorities. "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."-Matthew 6:21 KJV. Once I became a mom, my priorities took a dramatic shift. I grew to realize that faster does not always mean better. Sure we now have many modern conveniences that our ancestors could only dream of having, but what have we traded as a result? Below are just some of the ways I have chosen to be "extra" in an effort to provide my family and I with the best life possible.
- Ditch the microwave-Is it possible that millions of people are unknowingly sacrificing their health in exchange for the convenience of microwave ovens? In short, consider the following:
- Microwaving prepared meats causes the formation of d-Nitrosodienthanolamines, a well-known carcinogen. (Cancer causing agent)
- Microwaving milk and cereal grains converts some of their amino acids, the building blocks of life, into carcinogens.
- Thawing frozen fruits in the microwave converts their glucoside and galactoside containing fractions into carcinogenic substances.
- Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked or frozen vegetables converts their plant alkaloids into carcinogens.
- Carcinogenic free radicals are formed in microwaved plants, especially root vegetables as well as decreases their in nutritional value.
- Overall, microwaves kill EVERYTHING that goes into them and converts the resulting matter into a cess pool of cancer causing components. Our family has stopped using our microwave. If it were up to me in would be in the trash, however it sits in the corner, nice and clean and only gets used if we have guests who just have to use it. If we want to heat up food, it is done the old fashioned way-on the stove or in the oven. It's safer and the food taste way better anyway. My kids are worth it.
- End your illustrious affair with the supermarket-Over 80% of the items sold in supercaskets, I mean, supermarkets contain GMO's (genetically modified organisms), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), artificial sweeteners (Aspartame, Sucralos Acesulfame K), preservatives, pesticides, hormones and other neurotoxins. If you are new or unfamiliar with GMO's it would do you some good to research it. I will do a post on GMO's soon. Don't get me wrong, supermarket's have their place, but in the grand scheme of things, there's not much benefit from doing most of your grocery shopping there-either financially or nutritionally. The food is overpriced and essentially void of anything beneficial your body can use. Opt instead to shop at a farmer's market or find a local CSA program. (Community Supported Agriculture Program) TO find a CSA program near you, click here.
- I do our grocery shopping at our local farmer's market. EVERY week without fail, I am there to pick the most freshest ORGANIC fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains, and on occasion meat and fish. The health and well being of my family has positively benefited from this "Extra" behavior. I am at an attractive weight without dieting, I no longer need glasses, my husband's high blood pressure is managed without medication, my kids have bright eyes, vibrant energy, excellent cognitive skills, no allergies, and strong, untainted immune systems. The money we save in groceries has helped us cope with these high gas prices.
I am "Extra" out of love and necessity. My family is worth it. We deserve a high quality of life and we do not have to settle for chronic degenerative illness. I don't accept that. I reject that and I reject the notion that I am "Extra." I my friends am "Extraordinary!"